Monday, August 24, 2009

Smoked Boston Pork Butt Stew

OK this turned out great. My wife bought a small Boston pork butt on sale and I was thinking what could I do to make this really awesome. Then it came to me. Smoked pork stew.
First I brined it in the basic brine recipe in a previous posting. I left it in overnight and cold smoked it for about an hour the next morning. I let it rest for two hours in the fridge so the smoke would penetrate the meat then I cut it into two big chunks and browned them in a large saute pan. I put the chunks in a crockpot and added a box of chicken stock. Next I sauteed some diced celery, carrots and onions to the pot. I also added 2 cans of diced tomatoes, dried oregano, chopped parsley, bay leaf, ground black pepper, a little brown sugar and a little salt. I left it on high for 4 hours.
The result was incredible. the meat just fell apart and was like the best BBQ you ever had but with a savory smokey sauce.
We served it with grits with fresh corn in it.
We also make sandwiches and tacos with the left overs.
Now that's economical and tasty too.

No comments:

Post a Comment